Harry Styles: Debut Solo Album

Friday, May 19, 2017


 I have both my Twitter feed and Instagram on my blog, you can probably tell I like Harry Styles. I've always been a big One Direction fan and as you can imagine when I realised that the boys were going to start making their own music, I got super excited.

Yes, Harry has always been my favourite. From his very first audition singing 'Isn't She Lovely' to his last performance with the boys singing 'History' on X Factor UK in 2015. Throughout 2016, he and the rest of the boys were pretty much absent from the cameras; with Harry preparing for a role in Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk (and now we know recording in Jamaica), Liam being with Cheryl preparing for a baby, Louis doing Louis and of course we had Niall's 'This Town'. All of their disappearances hit us Directioners hard but we knew that this hiatus was needed, they deserved it.

So, when tweets about a solo song from Mr Harold Styles started popping up on my feed I'm sure you can visualise how happy I was. On 7th April, I sat in bed waiting for the debut of Sign of the Times- I cried. It was the first time we'd heard Harry speak and sing in like eighteen months, how could I not? Sign of the Times hit me hard, it's so emotional and very Harry. Then came SNL, Graham Norton and all these other performances/ appearance; the month of April became Harry's. Now we're halfway through May and apparently this is Harry's too- the album dropped on May 12th, the announcement of Late Late Styles, his secret gig, SOTT music video. 

Let's picture it, the clock strikes midnight on 11th May. It's now the 12th, there lies little old me in bed, as content as I could be, finally listening to my ten most anticipated songs of 2017. I love each and every one, that night I listened to the album four times over. The week before I'd gotten tickets to see Harry on November 1st in Manchester, knowing three songs. I can now tell you all, I'm obsessed with each and every song- I do have a few sneaky favourites. 

Before I go a little, tiny bit in depth, I'd like to point out that I am by no means a music critic! I just enjoy listening and singing along to music, particularly this album. I wanted to share my thoughts on the tracks. 

Meet Me in the Hallway
I think this is a nice, slow track to ease us in to the album. It gives me a lot of feels and I like how it is quite stripped back- a focus on Harry's voice.

Sign of the Times
Every time this song begins I get chills. Maybe it's because it was his first solo single, the song I'd anticipated for over a year. I do not know. I love everything about it, the choir used on the back, the emotion, the notes. 

Carolina
One of my absolute favourites, the story Harry told about this on with Grimmy on radio one was hilarious. I like this because it's not what I expected, it's kind of country and a very easy listen- a lot of fun.

Two Ghosts
This song is kind of the elephant in the room. As Grimmy said 'the one about Taylor Swift'. Whether it is or isn't, either way it's such a great song- personally I think it's quite revealing; about growing up and changing, you know not being the same person as you used to be. I have to say, it's up in my top three from the album. Oh god, Harry's voice throughout- HOLY GUACAMOLE. At the end of the verses, I die and go to heaven every time.

Sweet Creature
The day this single was released, I ran out of work and did indeed cry a little on the way home. This gave me goosebumps, again not what I was expecting. If you ask me, it gives me folk vibes. Although, Harry said this is not about a woman, the rumours of Harry+Kendall= Sweet Creature circled the internet. Again, maybe it is or maybe it isn't- is Sweet Creature like Olivia on Made in the AM. Harry said Olivia could be a person, she could be a feeling etc etc. Anyway, this is another of my favourites.
Sidenote: THOSE YELLOW/GREEN PANTS ON THE ONE SHOW.


Only Angel
I feel like this track is where the album gets a bit more edgy. Starting off quite angelic and then we get into the rock.
The line I enjoy the most is 'she's a devil in between the sheets', oh Harry. I think this really shows where Harry wanted to go with his music, makes you go wow he's really trying something different.

Kiwi
No doubt, my most anticipated song. Why? Who writes a song about kiwi's I thought, in fact it's not even about kiwi's. This is the song that's the most fun, it's just fun all round. I love this.

Ever Since New York
As soon as Harry debuted this on SNL, I watched it everyday after. I will say the album version is much softer and melts my little heart. 

Woman
HIS VOICE EURGH. Literally, so beautiful I could be sick. I especially adore the little part at the beginning- about rom-coms on Netflix. Two of my loves, Netflix and rom-comes; plus the fact that Harry loves both too. Woman is just something else, incredibly relaxed and dated in a good way.

From the Dining Table
I really have no words for this. It's stunning.

Harry Styles shocked me. It wasn't what I was expecting but it's surpassed all expectations, it's an eclectic mix of genres and it really emphasises how Harry explored everything throughout the process. He says it's a part of him that's never been shared, this is evident and I love that. Do you know what I mean when I say it's as though certain songs are from a different era? Anyway,  it screams Harry Styles and is literally the most beautiful music I have ever heard- I've said it's the album of my existence. The pink aesthetic adds so many bonus points, as Harry said, it's the true colour of rock stars. Harry Styles you are a true artist. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

My Must Watch Netflix List

  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Riverdale

Instagram